Well qualified employees, high-quality raw materials and state-of-the-art plants make Fels one of Europe’s leading suppliers of lime. Fels stands for high-quality quicklime and lime products as well as mineral aggregates.
We are a supplier and partner to the steel and building materials industries as well as a wide range of other lime users especially in the field of environmental protection.
Our predecessor company, Steine und Erden GmbH, was founded in the late 1930s as a supplier to the newly established steel works in the Salzgitter region (today Salzgitter AG). Since 1950, our head office has been located at Geheimrat-Ebert-Straße 12 in Goslar. Fels-Werke GmbH has been the official company name since 1971. In 1991, Fels-Werke GmbH, then a subsidiary of Preussag AG, acquired Harz-Kalk GmbH from the Treuhandanstalt privatisation agency. This acquisition included the Kaltes Tal, Rübeland and the Hornberg plants located in the eastern Harz Mountains, as well as the Schraplau and Oberrohn plants near Halle and Eisenach, respectively. The 1999 takeover of the Rüdersdorf (near Berlin) and Saal (near Regensburg) plants made Fels-Werke GmbH the second-largest lime producer in Germany. Moreover we have a lime site in Vitosov (Czech Republic) and since 2009 in Tovarkovo (Russia).
Since 2017 Fels belongs to the Europe Heavyside of CRH (Cement Roadstone Holding plc.) domiciled in Dublin. CRH emerged 1970 from the fusion of the Irish Cement Holding und Roadstone Ltd. Today CRH is the second biggest building materials company in the world, active at 3.600 locations with 85.000 employees. 2017 CRH generated revenues of 27,6 billion €.
Moreover, CRH is a leading producer of lime and limestone products in Great Britain, Poland and Ireland.